TestCon Vilnius 2018
Date: 16 October, 2018
Venue: Crowne Plaza Vilnius – M. K. Čiurlionio str. 84, Vilnius, Lithuania
Due to the limited availability of seats, early registration is strongly recommended to ensure your participation – we rely on a first-come, first-served basis.
Thabile & Stefaan Luckermans are a married couple that own a company called Thaste IT (2008).
Stefaan has 30 years of experience in ICT projects, going from developer, to business analyst, to test analyst, to test expert. He is familiar with several methodologies and frameworks ranging from waterfall, to Agile software development, to Lean, to Scaled Agile.
Thabile has 8 years of experience in Agile ICT projects as test analyst.
Test Automation By Example
This workshop/presentation is a guideline on how to do test automation from inception to the point where the automated tests can be executed.
It covers three main areas of test automation:
- Unit testing,
- Integration testing and
- Functional testing.
Based on an example project, the training will take you through all the steps from
- idea/context, to
- concept/design, to
- implementation/coding, to
The guideline is intended for any level of test professional from beginner to expert. The example on which it is build, the VAT calculation in the European Union, is understandable for everyone and does not require any understanding of a programming language.
Goal is for participants to take something home that they can immediately use in their own work. It is intended for any methodology and/or framework.
- 9:30 – 10:00
- 10:00 – 11:30
- Presentation “Test automation by example” (45min)
- Group discussion: Is this what you expected from a work shop for test analysts. What would you like to take home? (15min)
- Intro “Business rules/decision tables to help define the tests to automate” (15min)
- Exercise: VAT decision table (15min)
- 15min coffee break
- 11:45 – 13:15
- Exercise: Decision table dependencies (15min)
- Exercise: Simplify decision table (15min)
- Guided exercise: Pagination for data tables (30min)
- Exercise: Pagination for data tables (extension) (30min)
- 1 h lunch break
- 14:15 – 15:45
- Intro “State transition testing to help define tests to automate” (15min)
- Exercise: Site map to state transitions (15min)
- Exercise: Sreen page state transitions (15min)
- Group discussion: How far can you drive this kind of state transitions. (15min)
- Intro “Data state transitions (conversions, webservices, API)” (15min)
- Exercise: Fetch that VAT (15min)
- 15min coffee break
- 16:00 – 17:30
- Intro “Input to output conversion” (15min)
- Guided Exercise: deduct conversion rules from a tabular representation (15min)
- Exercise: login site map (15min)
- Exercise: Select article screen (15min)
- Exercise: tabular data conversion (15min)
- ROUNDUP (15min)
During the course we will go from inception of a software product to the validation of the implemented product.
You will understand what is needed to have a natural way of doing test automation. You will learn about each aspect of the software development lifecycle with the aim to use test automation to make this process more effective and efficient.
- The trainer (Stefaan Luckermans) will be assisted by Thabile Luckermans.
- The workshop will be very hands on and we will work in teams of up to 5 people. Ideally, each team will have a mix of junior and more senior people, with a background going from business analysis to more technical. This to mirror the real conditions in a real project.
- Teams will remain together throughout the day and will consolidate their effort on flip charts, kanbans (post its).
- The trainer will project slides on a big screen and will, during the exercises, create slides that show the progress of the ongoing training.
The target audience are software testing professionals (from beginner to expert), Scrum masters, Project Managers, Product owners (to get a feeling).
Level 2 – Intermediate material. Assumes knowledge and provides specific details about the topic.
- A personal computer.