As the computer systems are getting more complicated, testers and people responsible for testing have to manage testing efforts that are getting bigger and bigger and changing often. Traditional testing on its own is not enough anymore to keep up with the development.
Exploratory testing makes it possible to utilize testing experience and to carry out all the activities more efficient, and thus enables spending the time saved in documentation in a more sensible way. During this course you learn about exploratory testing in an interactive way with practical exercises. Interactive exercises improve the challenging thinking skills of exploratory testing. You also learn about the matters affecting the choices of how to conduct testing and about managing exploratory testing.
1. Basics of exploratory testing
– Terminology and related techniques
– Recap of basic testing topics related to the course
2. Benefits of exploratory testing
– Benefits of exploratory testing from test planning point of view
– When the traditional scripted testing is winning
3. Implementing and executing exploratory testing
– Test sessions
– Creating test cases
– Disciplined reporting and professional way of working
4. Practical workshop
– Session-Based Test Management
– Exploratory Testing against a real beta version software of a startup company
5. Managing exploratory testing
– Exploratory testing from the managers’ and competence management’s point of view
– How does exploratory testing support the improvement of testing knowledge
– Situations where exploratory testing is worth applying
6. Thinking skills in exploratory testing
– Improving the learning and thinking skills needed in exploratory testing
– Ability to ask questions, analyze information, evaluate person’s own activities, etc.
Course objectives. During the course you will widen your testing toolbox with the exploration point of view. After the course, you will be able to utilize your own experiences in test design and in developing your own testing skills. You also learn how to explain the benefits of both traditional and exploratory testing and to recognize situations in which exploratory testing is needed.
Target audience. Exploratory testing course is intended for developers, system designers, project managers or people responsible for testing. People interested in test process management or knowledge improvement are also welcome. Experience in software testing or test management is recommended, since during the course the participants will be sharing their own experiences with other testing professionals.
Course prerequisites. A personal computer with internet connection.
This course is suitable for all:
– Level 1 Description: Introductory and overview material. Assumes little expertise with topic and covers topic concepts, functions, features, and benefits.
although you will get more out of the course if you are more experienced.
– Level 2 Description:
Intermediate material. Assumes knowledge and provides specific details about the topic.